Hey, who out there has tried Yoga? Some of the benefits from Yoga are stress relief, better posture and flexibility, all round fitness, weight loss and inner peace.
Starting yoga for the first time can be a little daunting.
Here are a few tips for your first class.
- Find out what type of yoga class it is. Look for a hatha, Iyengar or a class specifically labeled as a beginner class.
- Find out if you need to bring your own yoga mat or if they have some available.
- Try to eat no less than two hours before class and limit water intake right before class.
- Use the restroom before class.
- Wear comfortable clothing that can stretch. Bring a sweatshirt to layer.
- Arrive early to talk to the teacher before class and let her know if you have any medical concerns so he or she can supply you with modifications if necessary.
- And most importantly – Let go of expectations, self-judgments, and be present in the moment.
Here are a few websites that might help you with the odd named yoga poses.
If in doubt about any of benefits, whether it is for you or whether you are for it, simply find a studio or class and give the instructor a call. They will be happy to answer any questions you have.